Skip to main content

What's Your Classroom Economy?

Classroom Economy

Welcome to my blog where I'll post interesting teacher-y things!  This week, I'm working on a classroom economy.  I have tried creating my own materials (too time consuming), I have looked up websites, programs, and signed up for trial offers.  In Texas, we have to teach financial literacy in elementary school, which is really great because kids need to know this stuff!  The problem is, there are so many moving pieces to navigate through to create and manage a classroom economy that is both meaningful and effective.

I came across this website called myclassroomeconomy.org.  It is totally FREE!  If you sign up, you'll get alerts on when documents change.  They have created everything from job applications to paychecks to money to job posters!  I'm definitely going to use some of the resources from that site.  All the instructions are pretty straight forward.  It's all paper, though, from the folders the kids manage to the paper money.  I worry about the fine I'll have to enforce for stealing money.  Hmm... I'll need to think of a way to work around this.  Maybe have a deposit day or designated time at the end of the day for students to deposit their money into the "bank" (think science display board labeled BANK and a student being the banker.  I found some cute pictures online when I googled "classroom economy".)

Another great website that is faux bank system is mykidsbank.org.  I love that this one is a digital version of myclassroomeconomy.  Kids can log in to see their balances.  You can assign multiple bankers to keep track of the accounts.  You can print money also, but the bills have a code that must be typed into the system when making a deposit.  Once the code is used, the bills can no longer be deposited.  That's a good way to prevent students from trying to deposit money into their accounts if they happen to "find" some money on the floor.   If you team teach, you'll want all teachers to be able to have access to the bank so they can deposit or withdraw money from student accounts.  Kids love to see how much they have in their accounts!

Other teachers are using Class Dojo points as their classroom currency to keep track of their classroom economies! This is a great way to introduce younger kids to the concept of earning and managing money in a banking system.  The icons on Class Dojo are super cute!  The older kids like them, too, so it's totally up to you if you want to incorporate Class Dojo points as part of your classroom economy.

Those are a few things I found about classroom economies!  Hope it sparks some ideas for you!






Comments